dud: A dub replacement

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Nov 18 16:21:08 UTC 2019

On 11/18/19 3:54 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> Perhaps this ship has already sail. But YAML would have been a better
> choice. It's a superset of JSON. All the existing JSON description files
> would have worked as is.
YAML's grammar is a convoluted read-only mess. Every time I have to
write it I feel like I'm just guessing and hoping I'm magically writing
it correctly. I've even had silent problems on travis-ci that turned out
to be .travis.yml not being parsed the way I thought. That sort of thing
shouldn't even be *possible* on a config file format.

Especially irritating to me is even just the basic nesting - the whole
"sometimes you HAVE to use a hyphen and sometimes you have to OMIT the
hyphen (or it'll silently be interpreted wrong)". And yea, yea, "Object
vs array", whatever, but when you're using YAML for hand-written config
files, the whole distinction between what should be objects vs arrays is
just a big pile of arbitrary pointlessness (a flaw it inherits from JSON).

And the grammar being a superset of JSON doesn't really help much in
practice, because real idiomatic YAML in the wild (including config file
examples) doesn't use it.