The Future of the GtkDcoding Blog

Ron Tarrant rontarrant at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 10:42:33 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 21 November 2019 at 18:56:25 UTC, SashaGreat wrote:

> I think you have 2 problems:
>
> First and unfortunately this community is very very small,
> it'll be hard to make money over here, I think with Rust you
> could get more attraction.

Yup, it's a small community. I've been keeping an eye on the
numbers and, in fact, I've noticed a bit of an increase in
'population' (if I can use that word) since I started this blog
almost a year ago. D showed up on a Top 20 list (can't seem to
find it ATM) earlier this month and this gives me hope that the D
community is growing.

> Second the timing, at least today "everything is WEB APP", and
> I'm not saying desktop is dead applications is dead, but most
> of my current work is converting to WEB.

I've also been keeping an eye on this trend, too, and even though
development is currently centred around web apps, scuttlebutt has
it that the desktop is making a comeback. Even if it doesn't, it
certainly won't disappear during my lifetime.

So, yes, your points are well taken, but I've always believed in
bucking trends and if I can help drive more interest toward D,
then I'll feel like I've done something worthwhile.