dud: A dub replacement

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Nov 25 12:15:42 UTC 2019

On Monday, 25 November 2019 at 11:59:11 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> Is there any chance you can be convinced to join our force to
> improve Dub?
> A lot of developers invested their time to either improve Dub
> in general
> or to get their needed scenarios running.
>
> My gut feeling is, it would take years to rebuild the same set
> of functionality
> starting from the green field.

The distinction seems academic at this stage, because nothing
stops anyone blessing dud as dub 2.0 when it's in a good enough
state to be used in production, and nothing stops dub devs and
contributors from offering feedback and code to help out with
dud.  And even if Robert were to work inside the dub repo, the
basic tasks -- going bottom-up to rewrite core data structures
and algorithms, etc. -- would still be mostly the same.

That's why I strongly recommend that at this stage, the focus
should be on the behaviours we want from our build system, and
how they should interact and overlap.

What's currently broken or impossible in DUB?  What parts of that
can be fixed without changing the config or CLI?  And what
improvements are most efficiently made via breaking changes?

Please, let's bring our focus on that.