Proposal for porting D runtime to WebAssembly

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 14:14:34 UTC 2019

On Monday, 25 November 2019 at 13:52:29 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
wrote:
> You don't have to wait for that. That future is already here.
> The in and output could also be distributed storage, event
> streams or some queue.

Yes, I am most familiar with Google Cloud. Earlier this year
Google Functions was not available in European datacenters IIRC,
but now it is at least available in London and Belgium. So things
are moving in that direction, somewhat slowly. It is annoying to
not have Google Functions when working with Google Firebase, so
if webworkers is possible then that could make things much better
(even for simple things like generating thumbnail images).

> Like AWS' glue that focuses on Scala or Python, or google's
> functions that only support js/python and go. Understandable,
> but I rather choose my own language. Wasm makes that possible.

Let's hope there is a way for other services than CloudFlare.
CloudFlare Workers look cool, but their KV store has very low
propagation guarantees on updates (60 seconds).