dud: A dub replacement

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Nov 25 18:28:55 UTC 2019

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 12:15:42PM +0000, Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
[...]
> What's currently broken or impossible in DUB?

I'm probably not the intended audience here, but just so it's out there,
here's a list of dub showstoppers for me:

- lack of support for multi-language projects.  E.g., a mixed C++/D
  codebase, or a Java/D codebase.  (I didn't check, but supposedly this
  can be done as a pre/post action, but it's hacky and not
  well-integrated into the dependency resolution system).

- lack of support for build-time code generation (i.e., build a subset
  of files into an executable, run the executable to generate .d files,
  compile output .d files plus other existing .d files into final
  product).

- lack of support for cross-compilation (e.g., cross-compile to Android
  from a Linux x86 host, or cross-compile from Linux host to Windows
  executable via wine / cygwin).

- lack of support for multiple targets (i.e., from given subsets of
  source files (with overlapping core files), build one executable for
  Linux/X11, build another executable in APK form for Android target).

- unfriendly towards integration with other existing build systems
  (e.g., build a sub-project with cmake, then integrate products into
  current D project with dub).

Probably some (all?) of these will require breaking changes because of
the way dub is designed, so I'm not expecting this list will be met
anytime in the near future. Though I'd love to be pleasantly surprised!

--T