D Forum Mobile Version - Beta

Johannes Loher johannes.loher at fg4f.de
Wed Nov 27 21:32:06 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 27 November 2019 at 15:17:15 UTC, matheus wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 November 2019 at 10:58:17 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo
> wrote:
>> I’d recommend contacting Vladimir directly, like bachmeier
>> said...
>
> OK I'll try that.
>
>> However, I tried your version and it didn’t work well for me;
>> I’m on an iPhone 6. I prefer the current version in the
>> threaded mode.
>
> Could you please explain more about this or take a screenshot?
> Because so far 4 friends (3 on Android e 1 on iPhone 8 ~ 9 I
> think) said it works better than the actual version on mobile,
> their main complain is about the speed and that's because my
> hosting is slow.
>
> I'm using JavaScript to handle some features and hid some
> elements and for this I set an interval because the some
> features of this Forum uses JS too.
>
> By the way I made this version for "viewing" only.
>
>> I don’t know how you implemented your version, but if you can
>> make it configurable as one of the current supported view
>> modes, I guess the chances of getting it accepted are higher.
>
> It can be set, I'm current using CURL to get the page and
> setting the style over it.
>
> If it was totally 100% static it would be easier and clean, but
> there are some JS that it was needed to take care of.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matheus.

I have to agree that I prefer the regular version by a lot. Some
concerns that I can immediately identify with your version are:
* no space around the content. I don‘t want the letters to stick
directly to the border of my phone‘s screen.
* small font size. It‘s just to small to readable comfortably.
* Painfully slow (that could be fixable by better hosting)
* Weirdly styled „Create Thread“ Button.
* Weird spacing in general. As mentioned before, there is missing
space to the screen border, but in other places, there is
disturbingly much space, e.g. between the different forum
„groups“ (new users, ecosystem etc.)
* icons next to some links (e.g. permalink, reply) are broken
* you mentioned that is intended as readonly. a readonly Forum Is
basically useless imo. Also if it is readonly, why are there
reply and create thread buttons?

I‘m sure, I could mention a lot more, but these are the major
points I immediately noticed. I‘m looking at it in an iPhone 8.

That said, I don‘t really see what is wrong with the mobile
version of the regular forum. Sure, there are some things which
could be improved a bit, but in contrast to your suggestion it at
least gets spacing and fontsize right. What are your concerns
with the regular forum on mobile devices?