"D for a @safer Linux Kernel" poster presentation at APLAS

RazvanN razvan.nitu1305 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 11:21:41 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 at 07:13:05 UTC, Arun Chandrasekaran
wrote:
> On Friday, 27 September 2019 at 09:26:22 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Alexandru Militaru's work "D for a @safer Linux Kernel" [1]
>> has just been accepted for a poster presentation at APLAS [2].
>> We hope that this will be good publicity for D,
>>
>> Cheers,
>> RazvanN
>>
>> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weRSwbZtKu0
>> [2]
>> https://conf.researchr.org/track/aplas-2019/aplas-2019-posters#About
>
> Nice. Has there been any recent performance improvements? There
> was a similar talk recently at the Linux Security Summit [1]
> yesterday from the Rust community.
>
> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=RyY01fRyGhM

It seems that they are creating a framework for developing kernel
modules in rust that can be integrated with the linux kernel.
They haven't tested the performance of a particular rust driver
compared to a C one. This is a bit different from what we did: we
directly ported a C driver to D and integrated it with the
kernel, with negligible performance loss. The 4% performance loss
that was encountered in some situations is due to the fact that
we have D wrappers over C function calls and some macros are
translated as functions that are called at runtime - they are not
inlined -; one thing we still need to do is to test with the
recent link time optimizations (LTO) and profile guided
optimizations (PGO) flags in clang; we are confident that this
will enhance the performance of the ported driver).