DIP 1021--Argument Ownership and Function Calls--Formal Assessment

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 19:23:30 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 20 October 2019 at 12:31:23 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> DIP 1021, "Argument Ownership and Function Calls", has been
> formally accepted with minor revision. It was updated to make
> clear that the proposal is one piece of a bigger plan.
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/accepted/DIP1021.md

Is there a connection between this DIP and the restrict qualifier
in C? This DIP basically ensures that in @safe code, if a piece
of data is accessed only through scope pointers, then there must
be only one mutable pointer to said data or they are all const.
That there is only one mutable way to access data sounds like
restrict to me. I would think that would enable some
optimizations in @safe code.