DLS deprecation

Petar Petar
Thu Apr 9 15:49:51 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 9 April 2020 at 15:25:46 UTC, Laurent Tréguier wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 April 2020 at 14:59:41 UTC, Petar Kirov
> [ZombineDev] wrote:
>> Thanks a lot for your work! What do you think about
>> transferring the project to dlang-community? Also, I think
>> it's better to leave the VSCode extension in the marketplace,
>> even if you're not able to continue working on it, people
>> would still like to continue to use it. For example, I
>> recently switched computers and I just found out that the
>> extension was unpublished.
>
> It could be transferred to dlang-community if other members
> agreed to, but I don't know what this would achieve; I don't
> see the benefit of adding an archived project there.

The idea is to move it there, so other motivated members of the
community can pick up the torch from where you left it and
continue active development.

> The reason I unpublished it is because I don't want to leave an
> unmaintained extension in the marketplace.

Yes, I understand your intention. I still think it's better to
leave it there for now, even if it's completely unmaintained, as
removing it immediately causes more friction than the potential
problems you're trying to avoid. Later on, we can publish the
extension again under the dlang-community publisher and then you
won't have to worry that people will complain to you when things
break.

> However, it's still possible to use it, you simply need to
> clone the extension repo with git, run `npm install` and
> `./node_modules/.bin/vsce package`, and then install the
> resulting VSIX file from VSCode (in the extension panel, there
> is an option to "install from VSIX")

Thanks, I'll try this!