DustMite: the General-Purpose Data Reduction Tool (from the D Blog)

WebFreak001 d.forum at webfreak.org
Tue Apr 14 07:03:42 UTC 2020

On Monday, 13 April 2020 at 13:06:30 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> Vladimir has contributed to the blog an article on the
> evolution of DustMite, looking at some of the challenges he had
> to overcome along the way.
>
> The blog:
> https://dlang.org/blog/2020/04/13/dustmite-the-general-purpose-data-reduction-tool/
>
> Reddit:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/g0ihse/dustmite_the_generalpurpose_data_reduction_tool/

very nice article! Before I was never sure what I could even use
dustmite for and rarely ever used it, but having been shown all
these use cases here gives me a lot of ideas for how to
potentially use it.

I really like all the diagrams and animations in the blog post
too, they make it a lot more intuitive to grasp what was being
done. Though I think some diagrams could have used a little more
labels on what the colors, shapes and numbers mean.

Also for the performance changes: what do the numbers mean in the
diagram there? Is higher better? What exactly is the unit of
these numbers? Should I even read it from top to bottom or from
bottom to top like usual git logs? Why did it jump from 487 to
200 and is that good or bad?