Introduction to programming with compile time sequences in D

Twilight drphilphd at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 27 20:56:43 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 25 August 2020 at 02:11:42 UTC, data pulverizer wrote:
> I have a draft new blog article "Introduction to programming
> with compile time sequences in D", it's on Github and I would
> appreciate feedback before it goes live
> https://gist.github.com/dataPulverizer/67193772c52e7bd0a16414cb01ae4250
>
> Comment welcome.
>
> Many thanks

Not being a Dlang expert, I probably qualify as the intended
target audience for this article and having absorbed your
previous article so readily, I thought I would try to expound a
little where I stumbled with this article.

I was clipping along until I reached the "Replacing a single item
by index" section. Having mentioned earlier that AliasSeq was
defined in std.meta, I thought this section started out by saying
that this was the implementation of the Replace meta-function in
the internals of std.meta, and consequently, because it is marked
as private (to the std.meta module), I can not use this function
(confusingly). As you can see, the wording took me down a path
you did not intend. When I reached the bottom of this section, it
was helpful to see the intended call with 3 arguments. The
earlier 4 arguments was puzzling. I now think that the "internal"
implementation was meant to convey the role that "ReplaceImpl"
would if this were C++ templates (with the extra argument used to
count to the match). Anyway, this particular section seems to be
better digested for me from the bottom upwards, i.e., starting
with an example of its use.

Also, the Join function might be better placed in the previous
section.

Do consider that I may just be a little off in my reading
comprehension today so please weigh my thoughts accordingly. I
have greatly appreciated the recent articles by you and others.
Thanks authors!