Chimpfella - new library to do benchmarking with ranges (even with templates!)

Max Haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 03:30:32 UTC 2020

On Monday, 21 December 2020 at 03:27:14 UTC, welkam wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 05:08:56 UTC, Max Haughton
> wrote:
>
>> This will soon support Linux's perf_event so you will be able
>> to measure cache misses (and all the other thousands of pmc's
>> intel expose), use LBR msrs etc.
> Are you going to read stdout from calling perf or are you going
> to read perf.data file?

I already have code that uses perf_event_open directly, it's much
more efficient at the expense of having to decipher shit linux
documentation. I tried to get the bindings into druntime but they
weren't up to snuff apparently.

The architecture of the counters is designed around a stateless
widget giving you a stateful gadget specifically because this
makes using perf_event_open less of a minefield.

You can also enable userspace-rdpmc, which I will support
eventually (but you get a general protection fault if something
goes wrong so it's hard to debug).