Printing shortest decimal form of floating point number with Mir

9il ilyayaroshenko at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 10:17:37 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 22 December 2020 at 09:18:25 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/21/2020 8:33 PM, 9il wrote:
>>> These functions in Phobos would make a great advertisement
>>> for Mir.
>> How this possible?
>
> A lot more people will have Phobos than Phobos+Mir. If they are
> perusing the source code and see Mir contributed excellent
> floating point formatting code, they may have never heard of
> Mir but have now.

"If, If Is Good" (Disney Company). From the marketing point of
view, this doesn't make real sense.

> Then they'll be likely to be positively disposed towards using
> Mir because of the high quality code.

Mir doesn't need a Phobos conformity mark. In many designs and
implementation questions, Phobos is far behind Mir. The reality
is that Phobos asks for 6K+ LOC Mir's code, while Phobos legacy
in Mir's codebase is less than a quite well reworked few
percentages.

> It's the same idea as HBO offering the first episode for free
> in a miniseries. People watch the first episode, like it, and
> then subscribe to HBO.

I don't take payments from people to use Mir. They don't need to
dig in Phobos source code to find it. Likely they will search
GitHub or code.dlang.org to find a solution they need.

>> Having them in Mir is already a great advertisement for Mir
>
> Since they exist in the C standard library (except for DMC :-(
> ) they by themselves aren't a compelling reason for someone to
> use Mir.

They are, Mir comes with a CTFE/@nogc/nothrow formatting API and
these functions are play well inside.