Beta 2.095.0

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 15:38:17 UTC 2020

On 12/23/20 9:42 AM, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
> On Wednesday, 23 December 2020 at 14:41:05 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
>> BTW, turning the deprecations from warnings to errors seems not to
>> work (nothing is printed)
>> ---
>> /Users/pinver/dlang/dmd-2.095.0-beta.1/osx/bin/dmd  -i -g -debug
>> src/foo.d
>> ---
>>
>> Thank you for your job!
>
> sorry, I mean: `/Users/pinver/dlang/dmd-2.095.0-beta.1/osx/bin/dmd  -de
> -i -g -debug  src/foo.d`

So, this is a constant problem since this deprecation was introduced.

What is happening is that some speculative compilation is checking
something via the get function. It might not make a difference, but the
error message is useless (who knows where that traits call is triggered).

Most likely, it doesn't change anything. Therefore when you turn on the
deprecation as an error, it doesn't affect compilation, it just fails in
the speculation instead of succeeds. But the ultimate result doesn't
actually change anything.

I can't wait until this deprecation has been finalized, because I hate
seeing seas of deprecation messages I can't do anything about. 2.097
cannot come soon enough...

I'm also looking forward to being able to print Nullable!string values
inside structs without an exception being thrown.

-Steve