Printing shortest decimal form of floating point number with Mir

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 20:15:57 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 23 December 2020 at 19:49:44 UTC, aberba wrote:
> None of which seems to me we're making it easy for people
> without time of their hands to make contribution. Spending
> hours-days writing a DIP or pull request that doesn't get the
> attention it deserves can be very demoralizing (undervalued).

Indeed, if it is ignored and does not lead to a new and improved
version, that is demoralizing. But, the value of a DIP isn't that
it is implemented, but that it takes part in an iterative process
that leads to a better outcome. So, the people who manage a
project has to make this visible to those that participate, that
they take part in an iterative process that is moving forward.

Project management and team motivation are quite challenging
topics, but if one ignore those then there will be less progress,
stagnation, or regressions.

> Looks to me like running away from responsibility or like I've
> been saying, a missing hand needed to bridge that gap.

There has to be a clearly mediated feeling of a spiral of
progress, and that has to be communicated by those who take on
project management responsibilities.

So, even if the solution provided by a DIP doesn't lead to
something there should at least be a feeling that the ISSUE
raised is being acknowledged and noted. Which is what I feel was
missing in the example given.