Our community seems to have grown, so many people are joining the Facebook group

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 09:05:45 UTC 2020

On Monday, 28 December 2020 at 17:31:21 UTC, Murilo wrote:
> In the past 2 weeks we went from 225 to 240 members in our
> Facebook
> group(https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProgrammingInDlang), an
> average of a person per day. First it was an average of a
> person per month or less. I wonder if someone has advertised
> the group or the world is finally embracing Dlang now.
>
> In 2018 I didn't find a single Dlang Facebook active group,
> there were 1 or 2 very old groups with no members. So I created
> one and I've been working hard to make it official and big, it
> worked! At first I added my friends list to give it number but
> then, as people joined it, I removed all of my friends and left
> only people who joined voluntarily, there were only 150, over
> time it grew to 225 and now we are getting close to 250.
>
> At first there was only a post per week, all posted by me, now
> I don't need to post something every week because the members
> are already doing it themselves, there is regular activity
> including posts and discussions.
>
> I'm very happy, at first the people here did not like my idea,
> they thought a Facebook group was unnecessary, but what is the
> biggest social media in the world? Facebook! So that's is the
> best way to communicate with the world and advertise Dlang.
>
> Cheers.

You're doing amazing job BTW. I've not personally been very
active on Facebook lately, but I'm sure you know I do post in the
group too. Also it doesn't have to be official. The discord
server also isn't official yet very active as well.

We might not all have the same REALITY as to which platforms are
important/appropriate, but I personally live in a reality where
lots of developers are also very active on Facebook. I've also
been nurturing a D WhatsApp group here cus WhatsApp is very
common for smaller dev communities here. Even though its
currently max 250ish people, its still one of the most active
means. Yeah WhatsApp groups.

Whatever propels D.

So I'm sure the Facebook group will appeal to a certain audience
who use Facebook. I've been a part of all sorts of Facebook
groups related to my stack and I've come to the understand it's
what certain people even prefer.