Printing shortest decimal form of floating point number with Mir

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 19:59:56 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 16:14:59 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> On Thursday, 24 December 2020 at 14:14:33 UTC, 9il wrote:
>>> Read the all comments and didnt saw any mockery
>>
>> Yes, it wasn't explicit. He didn't write bad words, he did a
>> bad decision. Bad for D.
>
> I apologise if what I wrote came across as mockery; it
> certainly wasn't intended that way.
>
> How would you have liked for me to have handled it better?

I am not speaking for Ilya, but from skimming through the
dialogue it struck me that you didn't respond from the
perspective of managing the process, but from a pure engineer
mindset of providing alternatives.

It would've been better if you started by 1. understanding the
issue 2. acknowledging that the type system has an obvious bug 3.
looking at the issue from the perspective of the person bringing
attention to the issue. I don't think anyone was looking for
workarounds, but looking for

1. acknowledgment of the issue
2. acknowledgment of what the issue leads to in terms of
inconvenience
3. a forward looking vision for future improvements