Our community seems to have grown, so many people are joining the Facebook group

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 08:43:09 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 30 December 2020 at 02:31:36 UTC, Murilo wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 15:06:07 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> No, the OP clearly stated that he made the group "official".
>> That is a deliberate attempt to fracture.
> I'm sorry you see it like this but my intention when I created
> the group was to expand Dlang by bringing it to places people
> couldn't find it yet. The whole point of the FB group is to
> aggregate people into our community, to bring more people to
> Dlang and make Dlang famous. My whole intention was to help our
> community grow, not fracture.

I have no issues with what you do or don't do. I have issues with
the complete lack of strategic visions and decision making on
multiple levels in the D community. The question is not what you
should or should not do, but how the D community approach
community building and respond to changes in the environment.

Just redirect people who cannot get their problems resolved in
your group to the learn forum then they get the best of both
worlds. :-)

No, what I find disturbing is that people don't think long term
and that the greater world is viewed as something that "just
happens". It is quite obvious that Go and Rust is doing a better
job at putting forth visions for the language, making strategic
choices and executing. They also do so in terms of community out
reach.

Quite frankly, right now, fracturing is the only possibility for
D. The current setup without solid moderation of the D forums
cannot sustain a large population. When the number of
participants is large the community will get more toxic. Which is
not good.

Also, it is a problem that the learn forum is hidden away.

So fracturing on your part, is not the main issue, the main issue
is that nobody has a strategy for making sure that the main hub
can grow nor is there a strategy for making sure that people
gravitate towards it. The strategy seems to be to make it less
visible to avoid that people find it. ;-)

It would not surprise me if you manage to grow your group to a
50/50 split. Is that a fracture, sure. But, right now, fracturing
is envitable if growth is to take place anyway. The source for
this would not be what you do, but what the D community is
unwilling to do (or think about).