D as a C Replacement

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Wed Feb 5 11:50:47 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 5 February 2020 at 04:31:21 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/eyzrm9/d_as_a_c_replacement_the_art_of_machinery/
> https://theartofmachinery.com/2019/04/05/d_as_c_replacement.html

There was a comment in reddit regarding the article so I quote it
from here.

Problem with D is the lack of direction:

     LOTS of bugs, that has been accumulating and being ignored
due to the desire of adding new features instead

     insane technical debt from all the "hacked" half-implemented
features

     the GC is slow and leaks.. nobody seems to care, basically
the whole reason to use a GC thrown out the window

     its all about adding the latest "cool" feature, as soon as
its half-implemented its abandoned and a new one is added, see
multiple alias-this, contracts, etc

     Now they want a borrow checker.. because ofc they do, rust
has one so we need one as well. Already a hacked version of it
already exists, and as always it will be ignored..

     The language is used as an academic sandbox for testing stuff
by their creators. Theres no direction whatsoever.

     Ignoring the lack of tools, documentation, etc

I must say that it is summarized very well. Especially that it is
focusing implementing the latest cool feature instead of
stability.