D as a C Replacement

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Feb 7 13:06:46 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 6 February 2020 at 08:40:19 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 2/5/2020 3:50 AM, IGotD- wrote:
>> I must say that it is summarized very well. Especially that it
>> is focusing implementing the latest cool feature instead of
>> stability.
>
> Non-specific complaints are useless. If you have specific
> issues, post the bugzilla numbers. If they aren't in bugzilla,
> add them.

I've noticed that this is the new policy of the D Foundation.
Criticism that does not mention a specific bug is discarded as
"non-specific". Very clever, but not _really_, as people will see
through it sooner or later. The thing is that D has accumulated
so many bugs and half-baked features that it is hard to pinpoint
any specific issues. You never know what's gonna hit you and when
it's gonna hit you.

Walter, your new policy is like saying, after someone tells you
to clean up your room, "Can you tell me which dirty plate or old
newspaper I should start with? No? So your criticism is
non-specific!" D has turned into a political party.

I don't know who wrote that comment on Reddit, it sure wasn't me,
but you see the same (non-specific) criticism keeps coming up
again and again. D is an interesting case study in sociology and
psychology. I am fascinated. Especially now that censorship is no
longer taboo.