FeedSpot Recognizes the GtkDcoding Blog

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Fri Feb 7 19:51:52 UTC 2020

On Friday, 7 February 2020 at 18:16:37 UTC, Les De Ridder wrote:
> On Friday, 7 February 2020 at 14:23:58 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> Now the sad part. I would like to use GtkD at work but I
>> can't. The license is really dangerous for companies (you
>> compile lGpl source code into your application), therefore it
>> is a complete no go from the IP department. The license is a
>> huge blocker for GtkD commercial usage.
>
> I'm not sure why LGPL is an issue. Does GtkD not allow dynamic
> linking?

I am not an expert at all in the topic of licensing. This is my
understanding:

Gtk has the license lgpl. As long as you link dynamically to the
shared object files, you can use it in commercial products.

GtkD is a D wrapper for GTK. It is D source code which ease the
access to the C api of Gtk. GtkD has also the license lgpl. To
use GtkD in my application I have to statically link the D source
code.
Now it gets more complicated, GtkD has some additions to the lgpl
rules.

I cannot judge how high the risk is for companies to use this
component, but as an employee I do anything to avoid any risk for
the company I work for.

Kind regards
Andre