FeedSpot Recognizes the GtkDcoding Blog

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Fri Feb 7 20:36:41 UTC 2020

On Friday, 7 February 2020 at 14:23:58 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> Also from me congratulations!
>
> GtkD (GTK) are a great piece of software and your tutorials are
> fantastic to get into it.
>
> Now the sad part. I would like to use GtkD at work but I can't.
> The license is really dangerous for companies (you compile lGpl
> source code into your application), therefore it is a complete
> no go from the IP department. The license is a huge blocker for
> GtkD commercial usage.

This is just FUD, and not true. Did you read the license? [1] It
explicitly states additional freedoms not present in the LGPL.
You may even link statically without the license infecting your
proprietary code!

It seems to me it is the incompetence of your IP department that
is your problem, not the GtkD license.

> I would like to run GTK applications in the browser (broadway
> html5). Due to the license issue I have to use the C api):

What difference does that make, legally? AFAIK the C api license
is more restrictive than GtkD’s license.

> I hope the authors of GtkD could change their mind in future.

In what way? I’d advise your IP department to talk to Mike Wey
directly.

Bastiaan.

[1] https://github.com/gtkd-developers/GtkD/blob/master/COPYING