FeedSpot Recognizes the GtkDcoding Blog

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 20:44:32 UTC 2020

On Friday, 7 February 2020 at 19:51:52 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> [snip]
> Now it gets more complicated, GtkD has some additions to the
> lgpl rules.
>
> I cannot judge how high the risk is for companies to use this
> component, but as an employee I do anything to avoid any risk
> for the company I work for.
>
> Kind regards
> Andre

The changes are the following:
1) Modification to work on another platform is not a modified or
derivative work
2) Static linking is not a modified or derivative work and you do
not need to include source code.
3) You have to identify that you use GtkD.

If anything, 1 and 2 should make it easier to use GtkD with your
company versus a standard LGPL. The price you pay is #3. So long
as you do #3, it isn't any worse than a normal LGPL license.

I work in an industry where the goal is to take smart risks and
be compensated for it. Almost everything is a risk. The question
is if the risk is worth it or not. If using GtkD saves you X more
hours a year in programming time than the C API, then that helps
put a dollar value of the benefit. I think the cost is relatively
minor, but that's for your company to decide.