FeedSpot Recognizes the GtkDcoding Blog

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 21:10:13 UTC 2020

On 2/7/20 3:44 PM, jmh530 wrote:
> On Friday, 7 February 2020 at 19:51:52 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
>> [snip]
>> Now it gets more complicated, GtkD has some additions to the lgpl rules.
>>
>> I cannot judge how high the risk is for companies to use this
>> component, but as an employee I do anything to avoid any risk for the
>> company I work for.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Andre
>
> The changes are the following:
> 1) Modification to work on another platform is not a modified or
> derivative work
> 2) Static linking is not a modified or derivative work and you do not
> need to include source code.
> 3) You have to identify that you use GtkD.
>
> If anything, 1 and 2 should make it easier to use GtkD with your company
> versus a standard LGPL. The price you pay is #3. So long as you do #3,
> it isn't any worse than a normal LGPL license.

Just a cursory reading of 1 it pretty much guts the point of using LGPL,
as anyone can legitimately claim that they modified gtkd to work with
their application (isn't that why you would modify it in the first place?)

The second exception is a solid addition, and makes things much more
pleasant in terms of D being a statically compiled language. The second
part of that clause is again gutted by the first clause -- it's
basically on the whim of the developer whether he wants to consider a
modification to gtkd to be a "modified work".

I would be fine with that license if I were doing proprietary
development (I have no problem giving attribution).

-Steve