DIP 1027---String Interpolation---Format Assessment

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Feb 24 09:51:16 UTC 2020

On 2/24/2020 12:43 AM, Robert M. Münch wrote:
> Out of curiosity, how and who makes such a decision? Is there a voting? Is there
> a committee? Is there a structured pro/con overview and highlight of
> blocking-points that need to be resolved?

I talk it over with Atila after the review threads are done, then decide. Voting
is a terrible way to do engineering design, for many reasons I can list if you like.

> I mean, people spend a lot of time thinking, making suggestions, etc. and the
> end result is: we now have nothing. Which, IMO is the worst result for all.

Not totally. I was unable to convince people that printf format validation was
an orthogonal feature. So I went ahead and implemented that to show it had
nothing to do with the proposal:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/10812

It turned out kinda sweet, and found a huge number of latent bugs in our own
code, proving we shoulda done that long ago :-) Bad printfs turned out to be
much more common than I'd anticipated.

> As a community with highly skilled people I think there should be a way to come
> to a good solution, not only a good enough. If not, this doesn't shed light on D
> and the community...

Community input is what the review threads are for. Consensus on a good solution
did not emerge.