DIP 1027---String Interpolation---Format Assessment

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 13:19:09 UTC 2020

On 2/26/20 4:57 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 2/25/2020 9:44 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 10:54:34PM -0800, Walter Bright via
>> Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Writing that an implementation must refer to specific templates
>>> implies that the behavior is customizable by the user via modifying
>>> those templates.
>>
>> I think this is where the misunderstanding is. The proposed template is
>> defined by druntime, and is NOT customizable by the user.
>
> Requiring the compiler to use a specific template that is not specified
> by the user has no place in a language specification (and therefore no
> place in a proposed language change).

We can do it without specifying that it's a template or the name of that
template.

But this statement still belies your misunderstanding. D is full of
compiler-defined types that are implemented via templates in the library
"not specified by the user".

> The specification does NOT specify how it should be implemented.

No but logic does. It will have to be implemented this way, but we can
certainly word the spec to "leave it up to the compiler/runtime
implementation" to satisfy the requirements.

-Steve