DIP 1027---String Interpolation---Format Assessment

Arine arine123445128843 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 15:55:40 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 26 February 2020 at 09:57:58 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 2/25/2020 9:44 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 10:54:34PM -0800, Walter Bright via
>> Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Writing that an implementation must refer to specific
>>> templates
>>> implies that the behavior is customizable by the user via
>>> modifying
>>> those templates.
>>
>> I think this is where the misunderstanding is. The proposed
>> template is
>> defined by druntime, and is NOT customizable by the user.
>
> Requiring the compiler to use a specific template that is not
> specified by the user has no place in a language specification
> (and therefore no place in a proposed language change).
>
> The specification does NOT specify how it should be implemented.

That's just an implementation detail, the specification wouldn't
require it. (This has been pointed out many times but you still
seem to fall back on the same old argument after it's been
debunked). It's how many D features already work and why druntime
even exists. You're just arguing semantics at this point, not
that it even matters. There's only one implementation of the D
frontend + druntime. And the spec is in such a bad state, if
someone wanted to create a new D compiler by simply following the
spec, they wouldn't come out with anything that is remotely close
to being compatible with today's D compilers.