DIP 1027---String Interpolation---Format Assessment

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 00:46:04 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 27 February 2020 at 00:21:36 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> So would DIP1027.

We know. It is *almost* there, the format string idea is a good
one. But DIP1027 had a fatal flaw: it made type safety impossible.

One small change - wrapping the format string in a new type while
keeping the rest of the tuple exactly the same - fixes that fatal
flaw. And as a cool bonus, the simple fact that there's a type
around it - with no special rules; it is just a struct to
identify that it is a format string - unlocks more potential with
it too.

I tried to put it as a dip back on Feb 4 (and it is now on
github: https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/pull/186 ) but I don't know
how to word this in spec language. I'm a D programmer, not a spec
author :(