DIP 1027---String Interpolation---Format Assessment

SealabJaster sealabjaster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 15:39:53 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 27 February 2020 at 15:12:23 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
wrote:
> error: cannot implicitly convert argument of type interpolated
> tuple to type string. Tip: use `.idup` to explicitly convert it
> to string.

Oh, that pretty much sorts out my problem there, sorry if I
glanced over it being mentioned previously.

> We've already argued this at length and the community is not
> willing to lose
> what we'd lose (ref, scope, compile-time usage, and more)

And that also explains to me why having the values packed into a
struct (e.g. C# FormattableString) wouldn't be acceptable either.
Again, sorry if I missed it being mentioned before.

My main other argument was the possible complexity/bugginess of
having functions that provide special support for these strings,
as from Walter's DIP it seemed each function would have to
implement their own parsing of the format string. But I see your
DIP already addresses that (_d_interpolated_format_spec("")).

I'm kind of struggling to see now why your changes were so
vehemently rejected now.

Other than that, just pretend my misinformed post doesn't exist.