My Android project nearing beta

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Jan 8 12:10:15 UTC 2020

On Monday, 16 December 2019 at 21:37:51 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> I'm gonna drop the link here without further comment:
>
> https://github.com/adamdruppe/d_android
>
> hopefully I've written enough in the repo so anyone who wants
> to play with it can... and if not, I need to fix the docs :)
>
> let me know if you find any success or failure playing with it.

Great stuff. I doff my hat. You seem to be the right guy for this
job, hands-on and all. A few questions / remarks:

1. How does it fare performance wise with JNI? In the Android
docs they advise you not to use the JNI bridge very often as it
very costly.

2. The new JVM default language for Android is Kotlin. How will
you handle that? Kotlin and Java are a 100% compatible, so for
now it is possible to have something like jni.d > Java > Kotlin,
or even jni.d > Kotlin, as JNI for Kotlin is basically the same
as for Java.  Further down the road it might make sense to cater
for Kotlin more directly which leads me to my next point:

3. At KotlinConf 2019 they announced that they want Kotlin to
become some sort of a default tool for programming tasks [1] (be
it mobile, server or micro-controllers). Earlier in this thread,
D's potential as a "glue language" was mentioned, and I think it
makes sense. So maybe more efforts should go into this aspect of
D, along the lines of what you have created here.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xKTM0A8gdI