code.dlang.org downtime

James Blachly james.blachly at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 02:36:51 UTC 2020

On 12/17/19 12:34 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> This looks like something the D Foundation ought to fund.  Buy one of
> the many VPS's out there to be used as the "official", Foundation-backed
> dub server, preferably with a hosting provider that has multiple
> redundant network connections and automatic backup service.  Depending
> on availability of funds, add a hot failover server as backup in case
> things go wrong with the primary server.  This ought to alleviate any
> concerns about downtime.

I am sorry to post on an older (but < 30 days!) thread that I've just seen.

While it would be very reasonable for the Foundation to be running this
infra, Sebastiaan's proposal is quite right -- eliminate the need for a
server entirely.

I would add one thing to his proposal:
The metadata are already stored in github/bitbucket/gitlab/etc. -- in
the form of the dubfile. All we need is a K:V lookup mapping package
name to canonical git repository. This K:V store could be served perhaps
more cheaply , and more reliably, than the current infra which must
serve all metadata (presumably). If dub could be retooled to only query
for the git repo, it could then clone and work entirely with metadata
stored in the repo, minimizing dependence on a hosted server, whether 6
nines reliable or not.

If, though, the foundation takes over the current infra and hosting,
please put out a call for donations -- I will donate.