D for microservices: ldc, rdmd, dub now available on Alpine x86_64

kinke kinke at gmx.net
Wed Jan 15 11:48:29 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 15 January 2020 at 04:00:26 UTC, Mathias Lang wrote:
> The LDC package is not going to be cross-architecture in the
> near future, but it should be able to correctly cross-compile
> once LDC a version matching 2.090.1 is released (most likely
> LDC 1.20.0).

What's the reason for that requirement? I'll soon release LDC
v1.20.0-beta1, so is there something from DMD stable you'd need
as prerequisite?

While I've never fully understood the popularity of Alpine-based
docker images (okay, the base image is tiny, but if all images
are based on the same, say, Ubuntu image, the few hundred MB only
need to be stored once on each host), it'd probably be nice to
have the official prebuilt LDC Linux packages linked against
musl, to get rid of the glibc dependency. I assume that would be
enough to make it runnable on almost all Linux x64 hosts.