Novelate - Visual Novel Engine

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Thu Jan 23 23:15:23 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 23 January 2020 at 19:11:19 UTC, Jordan Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 January 2020 at 15:19:34 UTC, bauss wrote:
>> Novelate is a visual novel engine written in D.
>>
>> It officially binds to SFML but the engine itself has no
>> direct dependencies on SFML as there's plans for supporting
>> libraries such as SDL etc. in the future too.
>>
>> It's still a work-in-progress but the basics are done as of
>> now and it has reached a point where publishing it as
>> open-source is possible.
>>
>> Preview:
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/YyoIWkp.png
>>
>> For more information see:
>>
>> Github: https://github.com/Novelate/NovelateEngine
>> Dub: https://code.dlang.org/packages/novelate
>>
>> A website with documentation etc. is coming soon as well!
>>
>> Thank you!
>
> Cool! I been toying with a 2D game engine myself, having been
> inspired by Godot (I know, it begs the question why I don't use
> the available D bindings), so your project will be a nice
> additional reference point for me.
>
> Also nice to see that dsfml seems to still be maintained, for
> some reason I switched to the derelict sfml bindings, but I
> can't remember why now...
>
> Keep up the good work!
>
> Jordan

Planning to support Derelict too so it can be used along with
those bindings and SDL too.

The reason why I went with dsfml initially was just that it was
easier to start out with rather than fiddling with Derelict.
However Derelict supports SFML 2.4 which dsfml doesn't (It's SFML
2.1) so that might be why you went with it and also why I want to
support that as well.

The engine itself doesn't depend on dsfml, there is a module that
interfaces to it but for any other bindings you just create the
same interfaces and encapsulates it in its own version scope.

https://github.com/Novelate/NovelateEngine/tree/master/source/novelate/external

The reason for it is to make sure the engine can be used with
existing projects or be implemented into existing games etc.