wc in D: 712 Characters Without a Single Branch

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 23:48:05 UTC 2020

On 1/28/20 5:11 PM, sarn wrote:
> Admit it, "my version is very likely IO bound" is hand-wavey. The top
> comment on HN right now is pointing out that it doesn't make sense.

I don't think it's i/o bound. Doing the split/walk-length and then
walk-length again is likely making it 2x slower.

Phobos' byLine is not the fastest you can get, but it's not a slouch
either. It also tries to use as many libc tricks as it can.

I would say the key point is that it's fast enough for most purposes, no
matter what the actual performance problem is.

-Steve