Bison 3.5 is released, and features a D backend

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 18:52:11 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 11:05 AM Akim Demaille via
Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 1 January 2020 at 09:47:11 UTC, Akim Demaille wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >[...]
> > If you would like to contribute, please reach out to us via
> > bison-patches at gnu.org, or help-bison at gnu.org.
>
> Hi,
>
> There was no answer.  Should I understand that there's no need
> for Bison in D?

This is very interesting to me for one. I have some projects that glue
Bison C output to my D applications, and that's a hassle to manage; a
whole lot of little C shim's that call through to my D code. I wasn't
aware Bison has attempted to emit D code, or I would have been using
that!
So, for what it's worth, I think this is definitely useful to the D community.

That said, you appeared to be asking for contributors in your OP. As a
Bison end-user, I just treat it like a black box, and I don't know
anything about Bison's implementation, or really even very much about
how it works beyond the fact that it just does.
I read your post, but it didn't occur to me that I was the person you
were looking for, so I didn't reply. It's possible there are many
people with a similar thought?

Depending on what you need, I may be able to offer some sort of help,
most likely in terms of advice for how the D output presents and folds
into the users project, and whether it works or not. I don't have time
to become a Bison dev though; there'd be a huge learning curve for me,
and I'm really time-poor as is.

I don't think your take away should be that it's not useful to people,
but finding contributors who can hack on Bison is a different
question.