Talk by Herb Sutter: Bridge to NewThingia

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Thu Jul 2 18:49:33 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 2 July 2020 at 18:22:54 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

> So why was Java successful? It was not compatible with an
> existing language.
> Neither Rust nor Go are compatible with C++.
> Rust, D and Go are all compatible with C in some sense.
>
> Basically Herb is claiming to succeed a language must be able
> to be a drop in replacement for C++ in a mix-match way. I think
> it is a fallacy.
>
> There is no single recipe that will make a language successful.

It's funny nobody has mentioned ease of use. Why is Java so
popular? I'd say it's easy to use among other things. Why is
Python so popular? Because it is easy to use and many can quickly
learn it. Why is C++ so popular? It is or at least has been easy
to use in its domain, at least if you use it conservatively and
do not dig too deep into its language features.

Ease of use is a big factor.