Decimal string to floating point conversion with correct half-to-even rounding

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jul 7 07:49:02 UTC 2020

On 7/5/2020 5:46 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On Sunday, 5 July 2020 at 11:07:55 UTC, 9il wrote:
>> There is no risk for DMD and DFL to depend on a Mir's Boost licensed library.
>> If something happens with Mir or Mir change the license, DFL will be able to
>> fork the required code at any point in the Boost licensed part of git history.
>
> Can't speak for Walter or the D foundation here, but I'm not sure the concern is
> really about licensing.  It's about putting in place a required dependency on
> code where maintenance decisions are outside the hands of the D Foundation.

That's right, it's not about the licensing. It's that the DLF should control the
code it distributes.

Businesses will not want to commit to a balkanized project.

The proposal is for Mir to become a central required component of DMD and
Phobos. This means it needs to become part of the D Language Foundation.