Decimal string to floating point conversion with correct half-to-even rounding

9il ilyayaroshenko at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 10:58:25 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 at 09:28:26 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 at 07:49:02 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> That's right, it's not about the licensing. It's that the DLF
>> should control the code it distributes.
>>
>> Businesses will not want to commit to a balkanized project.
>>

> From a business point of view, having slightly more correct
> string to float conversion holds very little value. I'll stick
> with sscanf thanks...

For a high tech real markets (airspace, automotive, science,
military-industrial complex) having a correct decimal literal
parsing has a little but absolutely mandatory value. If SpaceX is
lending a rocket, they want it located on the platform, something
around wouldn't make sense. Note, that these companies hold a
huge amount of the legacy C/C++ code and they are potential Dlang
markets. But only if Dlang will be able to match C exactly for
numeric code. Otherwise merging C/C++ code would have a huge
negative impact on them.