Decimal string to floating point conversion with correct half-to-even rounding

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 13:00:04 UTC 2020

On 7/7/20 8:52 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 at 07:49:02 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Businesses will not want to commit to a balkanized project.
>
> It's been ages since I worked on a software project for a business that
> didn't have many random third (and fourth and fifth and sixth and
> seventh.....) party dependencies. Trying to remove or avoid them would
> universally encounter pushback from management. "Don't reinvent the
> wheel" they say.
>
> It is really absurd.

+1

To any customer who is shy to include 3rd party dependencies, isn't
using DMD a 3rd party dependency?

> But anyway this whole debate is moot because if you like the code, you
> can simply copy/paste it (with attribution as required by Boost
> copyright of course) into your own files. You keep full control and get
> all the benefits of using it.

Doing that these days would be silly. You can depend on a specific
version of a repository without problems. Git even allows you to add a
dependency on another git project, and freeze it at that version.

-Steve