Visual D 1.0.0 released

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Fri Jul 10 06:39:37 UTC 2020

On 10/07/2020 07:07, Petar Kirov [ZombineDev] wrote:
> I don't care about the VS debug engine since it's Windows only. Some of
> the UX may be nice to replicate, but think this falls outside big the
> scope of a dlang editor extension, if said editor already has general
> native code debugging functionality.

Actually the Microsoft C++ extension for VS Code also uses the Concord
debug engine, but unfortunately it is not extendible as in VS (yet), see
https://github.com/microsoft/vscode-cpptools/issues/2932

> Also some people even disagree that VS is better than GDB in general:
> https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-Visual-Studio-C%2B%2B-debugger-much-better-than-GDB-LLDB-or-any-other-debugger-for-C%2B%2B?ch=10&share=b4f38907&srid=3E2D0
>

> Even if if I agree that VS provides a better debugging experience than
> VS Code, GDB is more powerful tool overall, so I don't miss Concorde on
> Linux.

I think gdb can be compared with windbg. They both have great in-depth
functionality.

UX wise both are not so well, but it all depends on the front-end built
on top of them. The usual downside is that remoting the text-interface
can be incredibly slow.