On the D Blog: A Looat at Chapel, D, and Julia Using Kernel Matrix Calculations

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 00:59:28 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 3 June 2020 at 16:15:41 UTC, jmh530 wrote:

> Typo (other than Mike's headline):
> "In our exercsie"
> "Chapel’s arrays are more difficult to get started with than
> Julia’s but are designed to be run on single-core, multicore,
> and computer clusters using the same or very similar code,
> which is a good unique selling point." (should have comma
> between Julia's and but)

Not really. Of the top of my head, the general rules with commas
and conjunctions that apply in this case are that you only use a
preceding comma when:

* you have a subject and verb after the conjunction (in this
case, if it said "but they are", then a comma would be required)
* the comma would add clarity in an otherwise
convoluted/ambiguous sentence (which I don't think is the case
here)
* artistic license (the author wants to indicate a pause,
something more common in fiction writing)

Though multicore should have a hyphen.