Talk by Herb Sutter: Bridge to NewThingia

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Mon Jun 29 10:31:43 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 27 June 2020 at 15:48:33 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> How to answer "why will yours succeed, when X, Y, and Z have
> failed?"
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIHfaH9Kffs
>
> Very insightful talk.

Back to C++20 and beyond which Herb Sutter refers to a lot. Is
C++20 a success, or even C++17? Does anyone know this? Modern C++
isn't a programming standard so what I've seen is just a mix of
everything.

I have lost track of all new C++ features and now he even refers
it as "NewLang" what that is. Is that Bjarnes famous quote
"Within C++, there is a much smaller and clearer language
struggling to get out."? I believe it when I see it.

One thing that isn't mention that is very important for a
language to succeed is libraries. C++ has a lack of standard
libraries which forces the programmer to look for third party
alternatives, which are of varying standard. This leads to that
the there is no particular programming API standard it must
gravitate to the lowest common denominator. This in contrast to
Phobos which is more complete.

Does C++ need more language features or does C++ need better
standard libraries? I would say the latter. If it weren't for Qt,
C++ would just be a skeleton language. Qt is a great library and
was that even before C++11 which proves that the new language
features weren't that important.

What do you think, did "modern C++" really succeed?