Talk by Herb Sutter: Bridge to NewThingia

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Jun 29 12:41:46 UTC 2020

On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 12:17:57 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-06-29 at 10:31 +0000, IGotD- via
> Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>>
> […]
>> Back to C++20 and beyond which Herb Sutter refers to a lot. Is
>> C++20 a success, or even C++17? Does anyone know this? Modern
>> C++ isn't a programming standard so what I've seen is just a
>> mix of everything.
>
> I guess the question is whether concepts, coroutines, and
> modules finally make it in. The really interesting question is
> whether metaclasses make C++23.

Concepts, coroutines, and modules are already in ISO C++20.

And co-routines are in a much better story than the incompatible
runtimes currently existing for Rust async/await story.

> [...]
>
> On the other hand people are stopping using C++ in favour of
> Go, Rust, Python, but it seems not D.

Rust still needs to improve a lot on its tooling and ecosystem to
cover many of the scenarios we use C++ for, even if is safer.

Already the fact that it lacks an ISO standard is a no go in many
domains.

I guess you mean using Python as glue for GPGU libraries written
in C++.