Talk by Herb Sutter: Bridge to NewThingia

Patrick Schluter Patrick.Schluter at bbox.fr
Mon Jun 29 17:00:44 UTC 2020

On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 16:47:27 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 15:44:38 UTC, Patrick Schluter wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> And that is completely wrong headed.
>
> +1
>
> As much as I'm sympathetic to the arguments for a slim standard
> library, the amount of problems I've had in a corporate setting
> trying to get libraries installed behind firewalls/proxies
> makes me glad for the larger one. Until a few years ago, I had
> to manually download every R library and every single one of
> their dependencies and manage them myself. It's one reason I
> really like run.dlang.org. I've never had a problem with it.
>
> Of course, I see nothing wrong with a high bar for entry into
> the standard library or the sort of promotion/relegation-type
> approach I've heard on the forums.

All packages I install on our Linux servers, I have to compile
them by source. All the default paths used by the packages are
readonly. So, everything with prefix, all dependencies. The
machine with an outdated gcc (4.4.7). In that configuration, it
is impossible to build a recent dmd.
Fortunately I managed to get an alternative proxy access that
managed to download the bootstrap d compiler.