Talk by Herb Sutter: Bridge to NewThingia

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 11:12:22 UTC 2020

On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 15:45:48 UTC, Dagmar wrote:

> Sometimes there is only one way to find out why it behaves like
> it does: to ask in this forum. And you may not like the
> answers. D has transitive const, but what if I should lazy
> evaluate/cache a value or use a mutex? If I shouldn't use
> const, how should I emphasize the intention to pass a pointer
> only for reading? How can I be sure that my class invariant is
> not compromised? Also, there is the shared attribute, but it
> isn't designed nor implemented well. Lots of questions, no
> solutions. D is intended to be a C++ replacement, but it
> doesn't explain to C++ programmers how to change their way of
> thinking. I'd appreciate if there was a document that explains
> typical tasks and ways to get them done in D for the C++
> dummies, like me.

This calls for a D-idioms for C++ folks. Its overlooked but I
believe its very important to have. Folks who know the language
might overlook this but can be of great help for new recruits.
Considering that's the goal...at least my goal :)

It requires someone with C++ knowledge to start, then we'll take
care of driving in more idioms. Like a GitHub wiki or something.
The D wiki more appropriately for centralization.

Anyone up for it?