Beta 2.091.0

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Thu Mar 5 05:15:06 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 at 08:08:35 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> On 26/02/2020 15:23, Andre Pany wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 26 February 2020 at 14:11:58 UTC, Andre Pany
>> wrote:
>>> On Wednesday, 26 February 2020 at 12:17:43 UTC, Martin Nowak
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you so much Rainer for adding the 64 bit dmd compiler
>>> to the
>>> windows installation package. Also building DMD with LDC is
>>> such a
>>> huge improvement. Thank you Sebastian.
>>> This is really great news!
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> André
>>
>> Small remark: To get dub working you need to copy it from bin
>> folder to bin64 folder manually. Just adding folders `bin64`
>> and `bin` to PATH does not work because Dub will you `dmd`
>> from current folder.
>
> I guess by "working" you mean that dub uses the 64-bit version
> of dmd. We could add a 64-bit version of dub to the bin64
> folder, too, but I'm not sure the bin64 version of the compiler
> has to be the default. It uses almost twice as much memory and
> hence is a bit slower:
>
> dmd.exe -m64 -c -unittest std\regex\internal\tests.d
>
> 32-bit dmd:  853 MB, 3.280 sec
> 64-bit dmd: 1445 MB, 3.740 sec
>

>> I just tested the performance improvement and it feels twice
>> as fast as before!
>
> dmd 2.090.0: 879 MB, 10.230 sec (released without optimizations)
> dmd 2.090.1: 873 MB,  5.300 sec

Yes, adding a64 bit version of dub to bin64 would solve the issue.
I also agree with you, there is no need to make the 64 version
the default.
It should just be possible, by extracting the DMD zip archive and
setting
environment variable PATH to bin64 to have a working dmd & dub
integration.

Another solution would also be to have 2 dmd windows zip archives
like you have it
for FreeBSD:
dmd.2.090.0.freebsd-32.zip
dmd.2.090.0.freebsd-64.zip
But this requires more effort I assume, maybe this is a solution
for the long
ran and the low hanging fruit for the moment is to add a 64 dub
executable
to the dmd zip archive.

Kind regards
André