Tracing D Applications

Johan j at j.nl
Sat Mar 14 18:38:37 UTC 2020

On Friday, 13 March 2020 at 21:41:44 UTC, kinke wrote:
> On Friday, 13 March 2020 at 19:00:01 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> This post by Alexandr Druzhinin shows three different
>> approaches to tracing, using writef and external tools.
>>
>> Blog:
>> https://dlang.org/blog/2020/03/13/tracing-d-applications/
>>
>> Reddit:
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/fi4qfw/tracing_d_applications/
>
> Thanks! Another option is to leverage LLVM niceties via LDC's
> XRay support (https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/pull/2465,
> https://llvm.org/docs/XRay.html).

Although I added XRay support in LDC, I've never actually used it
because it was not available on macOS at the time. Would be very
interested in hearing people's experiences.

Another option is `-finstrument-functions` (LDC, and probably GDC
too):  see e.g.
http://hacktalks.blogspot.com/2013/08/gcc-instrument-functions.html and https://youtu.be/LNav5qvyK7I

-Johan