DConf 2020 Canceled

SashaGreat s at g.com
Mon Mar 16 11:43:58 UTC 2020

On Monday, 16 March 2020 at 08:28:21 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On Saturday, 7 March 2020 at 21:58:06 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> Let's do a little online thing instead! We could do a chat
>> room, livestream, blog, you know stuff like that.
>
> As has already been echoed in prior messages, I too am sad but
> not surprised by this announcement, particularly as every other
> tech conference or meeting has been met by the similar fates
> over the last few weeks.
>
> If running Dconf as an online operation is of interest to any
> of the organizers, take a look at how LibrePlanet2020 is
> running their shop.
>
> https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/libreplanet-day-1-can-free-software-carry-an-entire-online-conference-yes-it-can

First I totally agree with Online Conference, but on the other
hand I don't think this will fly in this community, because for
what I see unfortunately Walter is trapped in the past and for
him it's: in-person meeting or NOTHING.

I came to this conclusion after seeing his responses in this
thread, like:

> I'm pretty upset about it, I was really looking forward to it.
> But we really had no choice.

Well we have a choice, online meeting.

> Next year, we're going to have it even if a meteor strike is
> imminent :-)

I know it's a sarcasm, but by this response he prefer to put
people's life in risk instead of trying an online version and see
how it goes.

> There's just nothing like an in-person meeting, and hefting a
> pint with friends and colleagues that makes our differences
> melt away.

Of course, but in this case an online version would be better
than nothing.

In the end Walter could have said let's try something online and
see how it works, but there were no incentive, and this is
strange in the period of time where meeting online is pretty
standard and cheaper for many of us.

Sasha.