Visual D 0.52.0 released

Dylan Graham dylan.graham2000 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 02:30:55 UTC 2020

On Monday, 23 March 2020 at 09:54:46 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a new version of Visual D, the Visual Studio extension that
> adds D language support to VS2008-2019, is available at
>
> https://rainers.github.io/visuald/visuald/StartPage.html
>
> Major highlights of this release are
>
> - improvements to the DMD based semantic engine: it has been
> updated to the frontend version 2.091, and code-completion has
> improved quite a bit, so much that I would recommend everyone
> to actually try it (unless you have too little RAM installed to
> cope with the frontends hunger for memory). Use "Visual D ->
> Open Language options..." from the menu to enable the "DMD
> parsing engine" as well as "Colorize identifiers from semantic
> analysis" on the "Editor" options page.
>
> - the debugger expression evaluation now has support for tuples
> and simpler display of global variables (it's no longer
> necessary to specify the fully qualified name)
>
> - updated support for all language options (e.g. -preview),
> these are also forwarded to the DMD based code analysis
>
> The full version history can be found at
>
> https://rainers.github.io/visuald/visuald/VersionHistory.html
>
> Cheers,
> Rainer

The DMD Semantic Server seems to hang after 10-15 minutes of
operation. Memory usage slowly increases from ~400MB to ~2.9GB,
after which it seems to hang. It won't do completion, error
checking or semantic highlighting. When I shut Visual Studio
down, the semantic server lingers in the background which I have
to terminate via Task Manager.

Restarting Visual Studio and terminating the server seems to fix
the issue, until it happens again 15 minutes later.

The completion is a tad slow, but it's functional and very
accurate, so I'm quite happy with it.

I'm glad to see the progress you've made and I look forward to
future updates =)