$750 Bounty: Issue 16416 - Phobos std.uni out of date (should be updated to latest Unicode standard)

Petar Petar
Tue May 5 16:33:44 UTC 2020

On Monday, 4 May 2020 at 17:01:01 UTC, Robert M. Münch wrote:

I believe this is an excellent initiative, thank you for starting
it!

Perhaps this script, along with repository that is part of can
help those wishing to update std.uni to the latest version:
https://github.com/DmitryOlshansky/gsoc-bench-2012/blob/master/gen_uni.d

With regard to the rate of pull requests being merged into the
core repositories, I would say that it is highly contextually
dependent. I strongly advise either:

a) subscribing for notifications from the core dlang repositories
    (dmd, druntime, phobos, dub, etc.) for an extended period of
time (3 months min)
    - you'll be able to observe the group dynamics (e.g. which
contributors have
      experience with which part of the codebase, why some things
are merged quickly
      and others take a while, etc.)
    - this way you can really draw conclusions for yourself

(b) looking at the statistics:
   - https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pulse/monthly
   - https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pulse/monthly
   - https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pulse/monthly
   - https://github.com/dlang/dub/pulse/monthly

as opposed to drawing conclusions from single data points of
anecdotal evidence.

 From my several years of experience, I can say the following:
- small, less complex pull requests are generally easy to get
merged

- it depends on the part of the codebase - if you open a pull
request for a part whose maintainers are currently active, you
can expect a speedy review. If it's a part (e.g. std.regex) that
is both highly complex and with a small number of maintainers,
then it may take a while)

- teamwork and communication - since all of us are living in
different time zones, rather than working in the same office, you
should be prepared that communication (which is a prerequisite of
merging) will be with high-latency.
Changes that are described well, for which the benefit is clear
and doesn't look like they may introduce regressions are of
course received well. Discussion prior to opening a merge request
can help to guide the implementation in the right direction and
save time later in the review process.

Many contributors are active on the dlang Slack [1] which makes
it a good place to ping people for feedback, or just to have a
near real-time conversation. In the past 1-3 years, I have
noticed a trend that many active contributors are mostly active
on GitHub and Slack, rather than the newsgroup. If you see that
pull request has fallen through the cracks (no new replies from
maintainers), don't hesitate to ping us either there or here on
the newsgroup.

[1]: https://dlang.slack.com/